Re: [Phys-l] This amount of energy boggles bc's mind

OTOH, if we manage to kill off 5 billion people, than the energy/resource needs of the remaining billion can be met with little negative effect to the environment! ;-)

Rick

Right, that's the point of the "Revenge of Gaia"!

bc, who posted to provoke responses such as Rick's

Rick Tarara wrote:

The problem with this kind of reporting is that (at least for scientists) it leaves more questions than answers. What about the rest of the oceans? Is the temperature rising, steady, or falling there? Is this a global trend of ocean warming or a redistribution of thermal energy? What is the mechanism for transferring this energy back to the atmosphere--since I would assume it has been transferred from the atmosphere to the oceans? At .002 degrees per year, that's 500 years for a 1 degree rise (which should be well after we've exhausted affordable fossil fuels). I would think the North Atlantic is FAR from the 12C critical temperature noted in the report.

So yes, that's a huge amount of energy, but is it really a NET increase? The report is a mishmash of this ocean data with vague predictions about CO2. So whatever the real science actually is, this kind of journalism may do more to obscure it than to 'enlighten' folks.

OTOH, if we manage to kill off 5 billion people, than the energy/resource needs of the remaining billion can be met with little negative effect to the environment! ;-)

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernard Cleyet" <bernardcleyet@redshift.com>

"DAVID ADAM, GUARDIAN - Global warming is creating a climate time bomb
by storing enormous amounts of heat in the waters of the north
Atlantic, UK scientists have discovered. Marine researchers at
Southampton and Plymouth universities have found that the upper 1,500
meters of the ocean from western Europe to the eastern US have warmed
by 0.015C in seven years. The capacity of the oceans to store heat
means that a water temperature rise of that size is enough to warm the
atmosphere above by almost 9C. . .