[Phys-l] This amount of energy boggles bc's mind

"DAVID ADAM, GUARDIAN - Global warming is creating a climate time bomb
by storing enormous amounts of heat in the waters of the north
Atlantic, UK scientists have discovered. Marine researchers at
Southampton and Plymouth universities have found that the upper 1,500
meters of the ocean from western Europe to the eastern US have warmed
by 0.015C in seven years. The capacity of the oceans to store heat
means that a water temperature rise of that size is enough to warm the
atmosphere above by almost 9C. . .

"A hotter planet might be able to support less than a tenth of its 6bn population. 'We are not
all doomed,' he said. 'An awful lot of people will die, but I don't see the species dying out.'"

Oh, it's OK then.

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1959556,00.html

bc