Re: [Phys-l] Gas Desorption

Joseph!

Not "really":

I aluminized mirrors as an undergrad. * -- while pumping down I used a glow discharge don't remember what I cleaned w/ first. For another project I made an optical cell to detect Cl-36 w/ MPT using Brashear process.

Research was optical props. (ellipsometry w/ Rochon quartz prisms) of several rare earth metals on glass (silica) prisms. These I cleaned w/ chromic acid / H2SO4. rinsed well w/ chip industry acetone. I soon discovered I had to let "dry" under a beaker on acetone damped kim wipes otherwise water condensation and dust. The monochrometer used same silica, so I could use the same dispersion formula. (~ 0.5 => 5 eV). I then used a W heater while the vac-ion pumped. [two stage sorption-pump]. Not surface science, but some care to have a rather clean surface for the metal silica interface **. I had the boat as close as possible to the prism and slide for FECO thickness and conductivity. I opened the shutter when the metal was about half evaporated. I also preheated the "charge" hours first. I had to monitor it, so I was just under a noticeable evap. rate. The conductivity gave one an idea of the purity. Especially evident w/ Gd wherein the phase change was more evident that for any published bulk values.

Other cleaning was soon after for a mini-research firm in Santa Barbara. Our unit used an electron gun evaporator to coat Kapton w/ carbon. This was a three person lab. Boss, friend who did the tensile testing and I. He got values that could only be explained by some diamond deposition (bc, very doubting tho). Later read about diamond deposition from, if memory serves, methane.

* Sideline. I was paid for reflectivity in the vacuum UV. I'm a bit hazy, , (1956/7) think I cleaved the salt xtals and quick stuck them in the monochrometer and pumped. The source I remember well - a hydrogen discharge using differential pumping, the detector a 1P21/28 coated w/ salicylic acid "wave" shifter.

** incident spot ~ 20% of face, ~ same results on moving the prism about.

bc, whose external examiner was the late (July 6, 2006) Ollie Heavens.

jbellina wrote:

Depending on beam energy, electrons and ions can modify the surface somewhat...don't know if that would be a concern. Sulphuric acid tends to leave, as I recall, some adsorbed sulfur which could be a problem.

so, Bernard, are you or were you a surface scientist...what sort of work did you do?

cheers,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics