Re: [Phys-l] Weightless (running around in circles)

On 11/25/2006 12:18 PM, Jeffrey Schnick remarked parenthetically:

(I don't think that they are
treating the object at rest relative to the surface of the earth as having an acceleration of 9.8
m/s^2 directed approximately outward from the center of the earth but I have no excuse for not
having asked.)

Indeed, I don't think they are either ... unless they have been taught
to do so, and taught what it means.

When you bring up the subject, you might want to prepare by bringing an
accelerometer to class.

I was able to construct a good-enough accelerometer in about 20 minutes
using stuff lying around the house: dowel rod, bailing wire, rubber
bands, and a lead weight I found by the roadside.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/accelerometer.htm