[Phys-l] Fwd: Picking Physics Books - Need Your Help !!!!!

I am forwarding this on behalf of a colleague who normally teaches high-school physics but who has also been hired to teach standard physics courses at a local community college. He asks the following question, and I am posing it to the list on his behalf. Any and all comments welcome; I will collect and forward them back.

Stefan Jeglinski

I will be teaching College Physics I (151) and College Physics II (152) at Piedmont Community College starting in January. I have not taught this level of introductory physics for 20-years or more, but as I have found in the current high school class, it is like riding a bike, which of course is physics too.

Please skim these standard course descriptions:

PHY 151
This course uses algebra- and trigonometry-based mathematical models to introduce the fundamental concepts that describe the physical world. Topics include units and measurement, vectors, linear kinematics and dynamics, energy, power, momentum, fluid mechanics, and heat. Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the principles involved and display analytical problem-solving ability for the topics covered. This course has been approved to satisfy the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement general education core requirement in natural sciences/mathematics.

PHY 152
This course uses algebra- and trigonometry-based mathematical models to introduce the fundamental concepts that describe the physical world. Topics include electrostatic forces, electric fields, electric potentials, direct-current circuits, magnetostatic forces, magnetic fields, electromagnetic induction, alternating-current circuits, and light. Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the principles involved and display analytical problem-solving ability for the topics covered. This course has been approved to satisfy the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement general education core requirement in natural sciences/mathematics.

That is nice and simple.

I must choose between the following textbooks:

Giancoli; Physics, sixth edition
http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_giancoli_physicsppa_6

Serway, Faughn, Vuille; College Physics, seventh edition
http://www.thomsonedu.com/thomsonedu/authorproduct.do?disciplinenumber=13&author_lastname=Serway&author_firstname=Raymond

Wilson, Buffa, Lou; College Physics, sixth edition
http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0131495798,00.html

Of course, all of these are comparable. If you have any familiarity with these` textbooks, and have some personal opinions that could help me make a choice, please share those with me by the end of Monday 11/27. It would be a very big help!