-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
John Denker
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:00 PM

On 11/22/2006 05:19 PM, Richard Tarara wrote:

If I strap the accelerometer to me, as I sit here, I would think it
would read zero.

No. Not for real-world accelerometers ... as you can see here:
http://www.airworlduk.com/2004pix/accel.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The equivalence
principle is not just some hoity-toity abstraction. In
aviation, it is a fact of everyday life.

The Newtonian gravitational acceleration g_N is just one
contribution to the total (Einsteinian) acceleration g_E.

In practical applications, when people talk of acceleration,
they almost always speak of the total acceleration, g_E.
This is so thoroughly conventional that in practice the
question never comes up. It is just taken for granted that
the GM/r^2 acceleration is to be treated on the same footing
as all other accelerations.

Therefore I'm weightless?

No.