Re: [Phys-l] Weightless (running around in circles)

On Nov 22, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Richard Tarara wrote:

What am I missing (maybe what an ideal accelerometer reads?)

If I strap the accelerometer to me, as I sit here, I would think it would
read zero. Therefore I'm weightless?

John Denker has already responded to this properly, but I wanted to say the same thing a little more directly.

In the situation you describe, an ideal accelerometer will show that you are accelerating outward away from the surface of the Earth at approximately 9.8 (m/s)/s. That is because, in a deep and important sense, you ARE accelerating outward away from the surface of the Earth at approximately 9.8 (m/s)/s.