Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

Bob,

I still see both definitions in common practice in high school, first year physics texts and in engineering texts. So, apparently neither has been abandoned yet. Please let me know when you have convinced the authors of these texts to change their definitions.

and in response to John Denker's pointing out that "horizontal" is not perpendicular to "toward the center of Earth" via an imaginary situation involving a pool contractor you wrote:

If I were to hire a contractor to build a pool, I doubt that the definition of weight would come into our conversation. I certainly would ask for references and visit pools they have already built. Good luck with your quest.

In both cases I don't really understand the point of your seemingly dismissive comments.

Is it your position that there is something wrong with either of those points? Is it, perhaps, that we should accept what introductory textbooks say about such matters? More likely you simply find the discussion overly pedantic and/or some of the discussants including me arrogant. If the latter, I regret it greatly, but I honestly don't feel the need to amend or apologize for anything I've written in this thread.

For my part, I've never taken any serious issue with textbooks that say that g = -GM/r^2 r_hat, because it's exactly correct in one important highly idealized situation (within the framework of Newtonian mechanics) and because it isn't a bad approximation in some more realistic situations.

I've always figured that those students who go on to become professional physicists will eventually make the necessary adjustments. In other words, that they will come to appreciate the fact that gravitational forces *are* frame-dependent and are not generally determined by the masses and positions of nearby objects *despite* what introductory textbooks may say.

I've always assumed that practicing physicists will understand (or be easy to convince of) the deep significance and beauty of the principle of equivalence and appreciate the breathtaking simplicity of the world view that results from understanding that gravitational forces *are* inertial forces, that they are always given by mg where g is the local gravitational field, and where g is always easily and operationally determined by simply measuring the acceleration of a local freely falling object.

If that isn't the case, then I should probably revisit my relative lack of concern about what is taught in introductory textbooks, indeed, about what I myself teach. Perhaps it *is* time 100 years after Einstein changed our view of gravity to start actually teaching that view in a much more systematic way.

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and