Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

Richard Tarara wrote:
Does this include laying on my back with my feet (and scale in the air)?
Great, I've always wanted to be weightless--or at least less weighty.

If we adopt Halliday's definition, that is, "weight of a body is the magnitude of the net force required to prevent the body from falling freely, as measured by someone on the ground" and "the weight of a body must be measured when the body is not accelerating vertically relative to the ground", this definition could be disappointed to Richard?

Another textbook suggests "weight of a body is defined to be the gravitational attraction of a massive body (such as the Earth) for that body."

The definitions on *weight* can be culturally dependent.

Alphonsus