Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

I will DEFINE weight to be whatever a scale reads when it is glued to the bottom of your feet. The GRAVITATIONAL FORCE (I will accept FORCE DUE TO GRAVITY) is that value given by Gm1m2/r^2.

From this point on, no one is allowed to use any other meaning to the term weight - i.e, they cannot weigh in with a different meaning. I am simply declaring an edict that you must play by Bob's rules.

Thank You and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I appreciate Bob's willingness to step forward and provide the arbitrary authoritarianism that is clearly required with this un-rule- y crew.

Nevertheless, as a long time and proud questioner of authority, I'd point out that these new rules have many unfortunate consequences including the following:

1. The gravitational force on everyday objects will no longer be given by mg.

2. The nighttime weight of people will be close to zero.

I will say, however, that #2 significantly reduces my concern about the aftermath of Thanksgiving dinner!

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and