Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

A suggestion - what if what we call the "sensation" the normal force, that is the surface pushing back on us. Then the weight can be the force of gravity (or gravitational force).

In the space station we feel no normal force but the gravitational force is still present, causing us (and the station) to orbit the earth.

This also works with the scale. The scale presents us weight he normal force (or a tension force if it is a hanging scale). Our weight is only measured if the net force is zero. In this case the normal force is equal and opposite to our weight.

Hugh Haskell wrote:

I agree that the sensation that we call "weight" is generally limited to ones that are directed roughly parallel to our spinal column, or from front to back, if we happen to be lying down, but I suspect that those feeling are more culturally determined than by the physics.

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Science Teacher

HHS Weather at http://www.hutch.k12.mn.us/weather