Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

Rick Tarara wrote:

For the 'apparent weighters' it is the apparent weight that is zero because
there is no force opposing the gravitational force and it is that opposing
force (usually the ground or chair) that provides us with the sensation of
weight.

All we need in order to have "the sensation of weight" (I would simply say in order to have weight) is the force from the chair, the ground, the floor of a spaceship, or ANY other surface that is in contact with us. There is NO need for that force to oppose some putative "gravitational force." Moreover the sensation that one gets in that situation is not merely "similar to" or "indistinguishable from" the sensation that one gets when there "is" a gravitational force to "oppose," it is IDENTICAL to that sensation because it is-- in EVERY quantifiable aspect--the same situation.

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and