Re: [Phys-l] Weightless

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

People in their everyday experience think a bathroom scale measures their
downward weight.

I don't think the average person would think to consciously qualify their weight as "downward." What they think (correctly in my-- mainstream, I think--opinion) is that the scale measures their weight.

And so when the scale reads zero for the astronauts, they
think g = 0!

I'm even more skeptical that the average person would consciously think something like that. (On the other hand, if they did, they would also be correct in my opinion! Here I'm prepared to concede that my opinion may not be mainstream or even pedagogically sound even if it is in agreement with our current best theory of gravitation.)

Lots of confusion and misconceptions with this with ALL
people.

I'm still not convinced.

I guess one could never have a true weight equal to zero unless you are
"very far" from all objects (so that g = 0).

By "true weight" I assume you mean the same thing as "gravitational force" so why not just call it that? And at the risk of sounding like a broken record (a train that left the station long ago!), I will point out once again that, according to the current best theory of gravitation, there is no less and no more "gravity" (in the sense of gravitational force or gravitational force field) in deep space than there is here on Earth or any where else in the universe. According to the principle of equivalence, that aspect of gravity IS inertia and vice versa. We make our own gravity.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not promoting the idea that we teach students general relativity. I just think there's room within our professional ranks for a little more appreciation of the deep and beautiful message conveyed by the principle of equivalence.

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and