Re: [Phys-l] g...

Hi John-
What do you mean "units are the same"? I agree that both grav mass, m_g and inert mass, m_i, are measured in kg. Now define m_g = .9m_i, as I am free to do. Then big G will be bigger by a factor of 1/(.()^2. The price I pay is that I have to be careful where I use m_g and m_i.
The two quantities really paly quite different roles. the m_g are the "charges" the define the strength of the gravitational field, the m_i measure the inertia that enters into Newton's laws. Cavendish made the choice for us, when he chose to measure G using inertial masses as the strength of his charges. Eotvos showed that the choice was sensible because it didnt's depend on the choice of material for the charges.
Isn't your disagreement jsut esthetic?
Regards,
Jack