Re: [Phys-l] g...

This is a misconception. It is NOT a workbook. The activities are not
supposed to be filled into the book. The pages are not removable. There
are separate duplicatable answer sheets in the teacher's manual. Or if the
Xerox expense is considered too great most activities can be done on plain
paper, and only a few on the answer sheets. The answer sheets are a
convenience, and contain grids for graphs when needed. Generally a 4-6 page
activity will use a single two sided answer sheet. The authors have not
left enough room in the text for answers to be filled in. The books, which
are paperback, actually last for quite a few years because each is only used
for part of a semester. In addition they can be puched or rather 3 hole
drilled and students can be required to keep them in binders. The big
advantage is that the students do not have to carry around a large very
heavy book.

The design encourages active learning by having activities rather than end
of the chapter problems. Instead it has end of the volume text. So
actually it might be cheaper than a book plus workbook because there is no
workbook, just answer sheets. The answer sheets usually contain the same
pictures and numbering as the text, but no questions. Sometimes they
provide a table format or grids for graphs. If duplicating answer sheets is
a problem, then have the students bring notebooks with grids for the graphs
and answer on their own paper.

I put copies of the answer sheets on the part of my web site accessible from
the school web site so that students can readily print them if they forget
to pick them up. Since they do not include the text, and they are supposed
to be duplicated, there is really no copyright violation. I remove them as
soon as the unit is finished.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I think one of the drawbacks to MOP is the cost of repeat workbook
purchases. As I recall, the text & workbook are integrated. It is
difficult for a k-12 public school to make this purchase every year. If
the publisher would produce these items separately, it would be much
easier for a public k-12 school to adopt this text. This repeat cost is
why I decided against the text this past year. I need the purchase to
last a minimum of 5 years.

I think any review of Conceptual Physics must include the Conceptual
workbook. Many of the worksheets in the Conceptual Workbook associated w/
Conceptual Physics are easily used w/ PI methods.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher & Online Learning Coordinator
St. Anthony Village Senior High
Saint Anthony Village, MN
55418
(w) 612-706-1144