Re: [Phys-l] g...

Paul Lulai wrote:
p.s. Do you also introduce symmetry at the point of
introducing fields? I quickly admit that I do not do
much with symmetry in h.s. While we do address
conservation laws, I do not discuss symmetry or
invarience. I am certainly showing my limits here.

I don't say much about symmetry until deep into the second semester when
covering Gauss's Law and Ampere's Law. I am planning on reading Ben
Crowell's conceptual physics textbook _Discover Physics_
http://www.lightandmatter.com/area1dp.html
As you can tell from the table of contents for chapter I:

1 The Rules of the Rules
1.1 Symmetry . . . . . . . . . . . 9
1.2 A Preview of Noether's Theorem. . 11
1.3 What Are The Symmetries?. . . . 12

Ben strongly emphasizes symmetry in that book.

Jeff Schnick