Re: [Phys-l] Learning barriers: was Physics first

On Nov 16, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Rick Tarara wrote:

Consider that there are three generations of scientists out there using the
terms oxidation and reduction. You, of course, could teach your students
using 'loss of electrons' or 'gain in electrons' and then your students
wouldn't be confused UNTIL they hit the outside world and heard people
saying oxidation and reduction. They would be confused for a while, then
they would realize these are just different terms for what old LK called
'loss/gain of electrons". They might curse you under their breadth for
leaving them ignorant of this common nomenclature and, if they then go off
to teach, will almost certainly return to these old words.

It would be wonderful if we really had a clean slate and could rework all
the pedagogy without regard to common practices, common nomenclature,
historical documents and developments. I'm sure Jim Green would love to
rewrite all the intro text book thermo sections. ;-)

You could maybe start a movement towards more descriptive nomenclature by
teaching 'loss/gain of electrons" but also clearly identifying that others
call this oxidation and reduction, but that you hold such words confuse
rather than clarify the physics/chemistry. Maybe your students then will
spread your teachings.

In this case I am not a teacher, I am a frustrated student, trying to learn electrochemistry. I agree that individual teachers must not deviate too much from the vocabulary used in textbooks. But professional organizations, should occasionally step-in and propose better approaches, for example once every ten or twenty years, when inconveniences become obvious. The best an individual teacher can do, as suggested by Bernard, is to trace the history of confusing terms.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.