Re: [Phys-l] momentum and energy

I don't think so -- I refereed to KE (If I remember correctly too little time to check) not v. And the assumption was elasticity. In the case of a silica bead on a rigid silica plate ina vacuum, I suspect the dissipation is < 0.1%
bc

Al Bachman wrote:

bc forgot that it is the momentum transfer that is constant, not V.

IMHO one should not push the topic of elastic collisions too much. They are an idealized case that results in some "cute" mathematics.

All materials are deformable (atoms separated by forces that vary with
relative position). Thermalization, dissipation and permanent deformations
all occur. Just think of the energy propagated as noise in a collision!

Al Bachman
----- Original Message ----- From: Bernard Cleyet<mailto:bernardcleyet@redshift.com> To: Forum for Physics Educators<mailto:phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] momentum and energy

Classically (N) p^2/2m = (identically) m^2* V^2 / 2 m Am I crazy?

If not, then, lim: m => inf. (with v non zero*) E => . not zero