Re: [Phys-l] Navy Cold Fusion

POST SCRIPTUM (SEE BELOW)
On Nov 15, 2006, at 9:34 PM, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

On Nov 15, 2006, at 8:25 PM, Brian Whatcott wrote:

A Navy report details an electrodeposition cell: Pd and D on Ag
with
CR-39 monitoring of nuclear events...

SPAWAR Technical Report 1862, Thermal and Nuclear Aspects
of the Pd/D 2O System, Vol. 1:
A Decade of Research at Navy Laboratories,
S. Szpak and P. A. Mosier-Boss, eds.,
Space Warfare Systems Center,
San Diego, CA, 92152-5001

...as reported here:

http://newenergytimes.com/news/2006/NET19.htm#ee>http://
newenergytimes.com/news/2006/NET19.htm#ee

"Scientists at the U.S. Navy's San Diego SPAWAR Systems Center
have produced something unique in the 17-year history of the scientific
drama historically known as cold fusion: simple, portable, highly
repeatable, unambiguous, and permanent physical evidence of nuclear
events using detectors that have a long track record of reliability
and acceptance among nuclear physicists."

pointed out in Theory-edge list today.

Which reminds me: while driving a friend to an optometrist's
office for a post-cataract check recently (even optometrists
can have offices and assistants like opthalmologists these days...)
a person who was fitting and selling glasses gave me a
review of the current state of things.

I started by saying that the titanium frames and sprung
hinges on Walmart's reading glasses suit my needs quite well,
though I scratch them regularly. She mentioned a current plastic
lens material: CR-39
Yes, this was the material that Ludwik went to some lengths to
obtain from a British source, and it turns out you can go to
the nearest optician's for a sample! (Though I hasten to add,
not in the thin sheet that makes caustic etch development
a reasonable process)

1) I know someone who specializes in measuring mean exposure to radon
for a person by counting tracks accumulated on their lenses
2) Yes, SPAWAR team, (the US Navy lab in San Diego) has been conducting
CMNS research (Condensed Matter Nuclear Science is a new name for cold
fusion. I am exchanging e-mail messages with them every day and unit
#314 will be devoted to their investigation. It will contain an essay
written especially for my website. I expect it to be ready next week.
3) The item #7, in the URL provided by Brian, is a journalistic
description of the San Diego project. The author, Steve Krivit, will
also contribute to my unit #314.
4) My first reaction, after I learned about the new results was "how do
you know the tracks are not due to trace amounts of alpha-radioactive
material always present in water, at very low concentrations, typically
10 pCi/L (pico-curies per liter). The answer, from the horse's mouth,
was shocking. Will it confirmed by independent investigators? It
remains to be seen. They can stop generation of nuclear particles at
the cathode of an electrolytic cell, by moving away a magnet located
near the beaker in which codeposition is taking place. Likewise,
emission of particles stops when an external electric field (6000 volts
between two pates separated by ~ 5 cm) is turned off. That is not what
one would expect if tracks were due to contamination of the electrolyte
with uranium or radium.
5) By the way, I have a question. Suppose water contains 226Ra, which
creates 222Rn (at a practically constant rate). The concentration, for
example, 10 pCi/L, is negligibly small in comparison with anything
chemically measurable. That water is purified by evaporation. Is it
reasonable to expect that the concentration of 226Ra should be reduced
by about as much as concentration of a dominant contaminant, such as
NaCl in sea water?
6) The paper describing new San Diego results has been submitted to a
referee journal and authors want to keep low profile till it is
published. That what should have been done 17.5 years ago by
Fleischmann and Pons. I will let you know when the unit #314 is posted
at my CMNS website.

7) The authors have no idea how to explain what they observed. That should not be used as argument against them. I am sure that clever thinkers will find reasonable explanations, if the claim for a simple reproducible-on-demand demo is confirmed by other scientists. The main issue is, as it has been for 17 years, reproducibility. Two independent teams are already trying to replicate the experiment. My guess is that the paper will be published in two or three months. Let us hope that this is not just another false alarm.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.