Re: [Phys-l] Off Topic: Speaking of tolerance.

I had to sign some sort of oath as well to obtain my employment, in
1985. I forget if the communists were mentioned. I think it mostly
referred to supporting the state constitution, though it may have had
some language about not supporting organizations that wish to bring down
the US or state constitution. It annoyed me a lot at the time, and I
delayed and delayed, until it became necessary. I would've been more
annoyed at being unemployed. My plan of the bureaucracy not noticing I
hadn't signed failed.

FWIW, and it wouldn't be worth much in many courts of law, I don't feel
particularly ethically bound by oaths obtained under coercion.
Afterall, the excuse many German officers gave for their omission of
ethical duty during WWII was the fact that they had signed loyalty
oaths.

I'm pretty sure that we have the same moral turpitude clause in our
contracts as well. Though what that means may be open to a lot
interpretation these days. Of course, we have lots of high priced
lawyers and judges to help figure these things out if necessary.

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605-688-4293