Re: [Phys-l] momentum and energy

I don't understand the notation. I insist the students define their sumbols; that mightt help them obey your instructions.
Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Rick Tarara wrote:

If the students don't think well algebraically :-( then you might try
this.

Pull these equations out of a textbook (my students did for their last
test--despite instructions not to do that kind of thing):

Elastic collision with M2 initially at rest

V1F = (M1-M2)V10/(M1+M2)
V2F = 2M1V10/(M1+M2)

Now assume an elastic collision and calculate for different masses of M2
(the wall):

Taking M1 = 1 and V10 = 10 ---> KE0 = 50

M2 V1F V2F KE1F KE2F
1 0 10 0 50
10 -8.2 1.8 33.5 16.5
100 -9.8 0.2 48 2
1000 -9.98 .02 49.8 .2
10000 -9.998 .002 49.98 .02

The trend now should be obvious--you can extend this (took 3 minutes to
program a spreadsheet .)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics