Re: [Phys-l] momentum and energy

I would posit that while I was never taught the "Conservation of Kinetic
Energy" principle and indeed some books go out of their way to deride the
use of the expression "Conservation of Kinetic Energy" relating to any of
the conservation principles, when there is no change in potential energy and
no losses in/by the system, Kinetic Energy must stay constant.

Additionally, one illuminating way of looking at the losses in a two-body
collision is to monitor the Kinetic Energy as seen within the CoM reference
frame (as compared to the Lab Reference Frame.

As an example, for those with access to Interactive PhysicsC (in any of its
versions), just try a collinear two-body collision between equal masses.
Run the simulation monitoring KE (both System and CoM parts) making the
elasticities exactly ONE(1).

Now, re-run the simulation adjusting the elasticity and monitor KE's.

Finally, rerun the simulation making the elasticities exactly ZERO(0) and
monitor KE's.

My students claim this really gives them a clearer view of what the words
"Totally Elastic" and "Totally Inelastic" mean.

Of course, for your Physics Majors, this works even better when you show
them what happens in the CoM Reference Frame when the masses are not equal
and possibly very different.

Try it, you'll like it!

Keep Fizzing,
Just John.