Re: [Phys-l] Basic statistics

Hi Tim-
I misremembered, and therefore mis-stated, what it is that the Chi-square distribution does not do. You correctly state that it becomes Gaussian in the large sample-size limit. What it does not do is become n(0,1) (0-mean, unit variance) as some other distributions do. The zero-mean part is, of course, trivial because it just invloves subtraction of the the distribution means.
The correct statement of the CLT is that the means of samples taken from finite variance distributions tend to n(0,1) in the large sample-size limit. The are distributions for which the CLT fails. See Feller, 2d Ed., Vol. II (not an easy read).
I think we're not far apart.
Regards,
Jack