Re: [Phys-l] momentum and energy

On 11/12/2006 09:16 PM, Spencer, Rob wrote:
Greetings, I am a high school teacher and I have a question regarding an assumed elastic
collision. Suppose a golf ball strikes a massive wall and recoils with a velocity equal in
magnitude to its initial velocity. If one were to evaluate the situation with conservation of
energy, then energy is conserved (defined to be perfectly elastic). All of the (kinetic) energy
remains in the golf ball. None is transferred to the wall. However, the wall must acquire
momentum due to the fact the system momentum must be conserved. So the wall has final momentum
when it initially had none but has no kinetic energy. I am having a hard time with an object
having momentum but no energy conceptually...any guidance would be appreciated.

That's a classic!!!

My father foisted that question on me when I was about 8 years old,
and it took me many, many years to figure it out.

The trick is here:
recoils with a velocity equal in magnitude to its initial velocity.

That's strictly true in the CM frame and approximately /but not exactly/
true in the lab frame.

The earth /must/ recoil a little bit.

As another way of saying the same thing, infinities are tricky. Taking
the limit of an infinitely-massive earth is asking for trouble, especially
if the limit is taken too early in the process.

The fix is simple: Use M and V to denote the mass and velocity of the earth,
then treat everything just like any other two-body collision problem. You
will find that M is large and V is small, such that MV is not trivial.
you will find that V makes a negligible contribution to the golf ball
velocity, but a nontrivial contribution to the conservation law.