Re: [Phys-l] Basic statistics

Does anyone in this discussion ever use the Average Deviation (of the Mean)? I tend to use it in my intro labs because we are normally dealing with small sets of measured values (3-5 trials). I think I've seen this under other names here Sum(|value(i)-mean|)/N which is slightly different from the standard deviation. However, what I don't know for sure is the confidence factor when one quotes mean +/- AD, if in fact there is a well defined factor when dealing with such small data sets.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College