Re: [Phys-l] Basic statistics

Hi all-
I find all these generalities unhelpful, because I don't know what Ludwik is talking about. My tiny mind can only start from specific problems, and, on a good day, I can generalize from these.

Yesterday I attended a seminar by a member of an experimental collaboration that was measuring the mass and width of the W-particle.
He compared the most recent result with several others, from different experiments, each with a mass value and an uncertainty. How would you set about determining (1) a world average and uncertainty, and (2) the consistency of various experiments.
For guidance as to current practice, see the Particle Data Group booklet, or their web-site.
Regards,
Jack