[Phys-l] Expansion of the universe (was: Cosmic background radiation)

I collected and organized my recent remarks on this subject
and put them at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/expansion-of-the-universe.htm

I also cobbled up a new figure, showing free particles moving
relative to a ruler.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/expansion-of-the-universe.htm#fig-expansion+ruler-1

This is a reeeeally fundamental concept. Asking "what happens in this
situation" is tantamount to asking "what do we mean by distance".
Until you get a handle on this, you will never really understand:
-- gravitational waves
-- expansion of the universe
-- etc.