Re: [Phys-l] Conferences for HS Physics Teachers

There's actually an "Institute for First Year Physics Teachers" that I did 12 years ago that I believe is still up and running, through either UB or Buffalo State. I use many of the demos and labs I got there today. Extremely useful, if its still around.

Chris Crowell
Science Teacher/Dept. Chair
Brockport HS
40 Allen Street
Brockport, NY 14420
ccrowell@bcs1.org
585-637-1870 ext.7205

bracken5@columbus.rr.com 11/6/2006 7:47 PM >>>

As a new HS physics teacher, I'm wondering if there are any highly
recommended national summer conferences that run for one-week. I'm aware
of the popular week-long AP workshops that the College Board offers, but
that is not what I'm seeking.

The chemistry teachers have both Chem Ed as well as the BCCE conferences,
with the Chem Ed Conferences mostly focused on secondary teaching. The
BCCE conferences tend to attract more college faculty.

I recall hearing a number of years ago that there were essentially two
different summer conferences for physics educators. One was geared toward
high school teachers (labs, demos, teaching methods) and one was more
suited for the college educators.

If anyone can tell me the details of any summer conferences for 2007, I
would greatly appreciate it. Ohio State University has offered a number of
highly regarded professional development opportunities, but I'm wondering
about other options.

Thank you very much.

Jeff Bracken bracken5@columbus.rr.com
Chemistry & Physics Teacher