[Phys-l] LabVIEW and data analysis/acquisition

Hi All,

Soon (Winter Semester) I'll be teaching a class on Data Acquisition and
Analysis. A primary goal of the course is to teach students to use
LabVIEW for data collection (and some limited analysis too). I also plan
to use other tools such as Excel for statistics and limited analysis.

I have not been happy with the selection of textbooks. The first two
times I did this I used John Essick's text "Advanced LabVIEW Labs" and
loved it for the LabVIEW part. That is now hopelessly out of date (uses
LabVIEW 5 but LabVIEW 8 is now the current version). Two years ago I
used the National Instruments book and was only marginally happy with
it. The price was not too out of hand and it was nice to have a student
version of the software included.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd also be interested in suggestions
for a good textbook on data analysis (including data acquisition would
be even better).

We sometimes use the book "Practical Physics" for our advanced lab
course and that is a good book but not quite what I'm looking for for
this course.

Thanks!

John

(PS to bc: I still have your 6V lamps under my desk and still plan to
test them. I hit a bump in the road in both time and available power
supplies. I intend to try it with a new supply as soon as I can take the
time to figure out how to program the thing.)

John E. Sohl, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Weber State University
2508 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-2508

voice: (801) 626-7907, fax: (801) 626-7445
e-mail: jsohl@weber.edu
web: http://physics.weber.edu/sohl/