Re: [Phys-l] question about coupled oscillators

Hi Carl-
The general statement goes something like this (in the 2 normal mode case):
There are 2 coupled amplitudes, call them X1 and X2. Your system is such that you can find 2 normal modes, with frequencies fA and fB. Corresponding to each frequency there is an eigenvector that is a linear combination of X1 and X2. The eigenvectors, call them XA and XB are orthogonal to each other in the usual case. The eigenmodes can be excited independently of each othe (that's what makes them "eigen"), so there should be no relationship between the phases of the excitations.
The simplest case to work out, that I know of, is two pendulums connected by a spring.
Regards,
Jack