Re: [Phys-l] Independent Variables

At 12:47 +1100 10/31/06, thecraftyphantom@australia.edu wrote:

I was discussing independent and dependent variables with my physics
students in a recent class. No matter how I approached the subject a
number of them asked questions that showed they were having difficulty with
identifying the independent and dependent variable in a number of cases.

Have others struck this difficulty? If so, what approaches have you used
to clarify this issue for students?
It depends on just what they were hung up on--the idea of the independent variable as the one you adjust and the dependent one as the one you measure, or the idea that the independent variable goes on the horizontal axis and the dependent one goes on the vertical axis.

The first is pretty obvious, it seems to me, and the other is arbitrary. In fact, I don't see much value in spending time on that aspect, because students want to have rules that they can follow without having to think about it (that's why sig. figs. is something that too much time is spent on), and dependent/independent variables is one of those arbitrary rules that students want, but then get hung up on because there is no underlying logic to them--or at least not much.

I purposely do a couple of lab exercises where I have them plot the dependent variable on the x-axis and the independent on on the y-axis, because that is the way I want the slope of the line to come out. That bothers some students because they have this hang-up about an arbitrary rule,and I am consciously trying to break it down, by showing them that it *is* arbitrary, and that there are all sorts of very logical reasons why one would put the dependent variable on the horizontal axis.

The students have to think about how the graph of their results makes sense, and if they are looking for a linear graph and need to measure the slope, it makes a whole lot more sense to put the quantity that will become the denominator in the calculation of the slope on the horizontal axis.

If they can figure out what is best by thinking about what they are doing, rather than remembering arbitrary rules, they will be a whole lot better off.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

When you are arguing with a stupid person, it is a good idea to make sure that
person isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous