Re: [Phys-l] feeling gravity, or not

At 09:57 AM 10/28/2006, John D., you wrote:
On 10/27/2006 04:31 PM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:

> I say there is distortion and I say I feel gravity. I
> realize if you put me in free fall the sensation is different. So what?

I'll tell you what. Thereby hangs the entire tale. See below.

> If you stand me on earth and turn off gravity that will feel different
> also. That is, if there were a gravity switch, and you strapped me to a
> chair bolted to earth, and then you turn gravity on and off, I could
> sense the difference between off and on. And I wouldn't only sense the
> difference in my butt. I would sense it all over.

That claim is implausible and unsubstantiated. In other words, PbBA.

Is there any physics principle or equation that supports this claim?

I think the principle in question is Hookes Law.
Setting aside Ed's all too elastic fleshy integument, a spring scale
sinks under the weight of a pound of tripe, then springs up to register
zero when gravity is switched off.
As Ed suggested, it needs a secure connection to Earth's surface
for this effect to be readily observable.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!