Re: [Phys-l] violation of N3 ??

On 10/27/2006 05:55 PM, David Bowman wrote:

^

---->-- q --->--- q'

^

[There is] .... at the
location of q a magnetic field generated by q' that is pointing out
of the screen toward the viewer. ... q', being in a no-field location,
has no magnetic force exerted on it by q.

OK, that's true as stated, and very clear.

This is a very strong violation of N3.

I'm not convinced; see below.

We really can't very well dismiss such magnetic forces as
being a negligible relativistic effect since it is responsible for
making nearly all kinds electric motors work (that along with the
forces of constraint).

Agreed!

Magnetic fields *are* 2nd-order relativistic effects, but they are
not negligible.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/magnet-relativity.htm

Certainly one can easily deal with momentum conservation for
momentum transfers between particles and force-fields when one also
considers the field momentum possessed by the fields themselves.

Agreed; that was what I was saying in my previous note. Feynman
volume II chapter 27.

But there seems to be a problem that develops with an *N3* assignment
saying that a particle exerts a force on a field at some location
because it requires that the field at that location also transmit
that force to its various neighboring spatial neighbors at different
locations in space as the momentum is locally transferred across the
spatial reaches of the field.

I don't see what the problem is. That's why fields were invented.
If a field can exert a force on a particle, surely the particle can
exert a force on the field. We know how to calculate field energy
and field momentum ... maybe not perfectly, but well enough to deal
with the situations considered here.

I guess it comes down to details of how you formulate N3. Whenever
anybody says N3 *I* tend to assume they mean conservation of momentum.
This is how *I* understand N3.

If instead you insist on formulating N3 in terms of particle-to-particle
interactions, and action-at-a-distance, treating the field-strength
as only a calculational device ... then sure, you're going to have
violations. Action-at-a-distance is incompatible with relativity,
and therefore incompatible with electromagnetism.

Let's be clear: electromagnetism is not inconsistent with conservation
of momentum; it's just incompatible with action-at-a-distance.

I suggest we formulate N3 in such a way that it does not imply
action-at-a-distance.