Re: [Phys-l] pseudo-force

I found some discussion of pseudoforces/Non-inertial frames of reference in 2 books in my collection:

1. Tipler "Physics for scientists and engineers" 4th ed. has a couple of pages on the subject. Just a qualitative discussion of what a pseudoforce is and he refers to the Coriolis effect.

2. Benson " University Physics" spends 4.5 pages on the subject with detailed numerical examples. He goes in detail through the pendulum in an accelerating car, the centrifugal force for a ball at the end of a string, the Coriolis force. He ends with quick references to the Foucault Pendulum, real projectiles and the weather (with a picture of Jupiter's red spot).

Karim Diff

Rauber, Joel wrote:
John,

>From your examples, see below, I assume you mean, are there any
introductory textbooks that discuss the issue?

________________________ Joel Rauber Department of Physics - SDSU
Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu 605-688-4293