Re: [Phys-l] Baseball

I fear that you are overlooking the correct answer on the question as to
why the pitcher bends forward, sometimes, to read the signal from the
catcher. Baseball like most sports is highly idiosyncratic. If a particular
attitude, motion, manner of spitting, etc looks neat to the viewer it is
readily adopted by others.

This looks correct to me. During commercial breaks I switched over to the game last night. The Cardinals pitcher bent over and looked goofy -- The Dodgers pitcher stood erect in a gentlemanly fashion -- and they won (as they should -- they have a blue trim on their uniforms)

The most notable similarity among the various pitchers was that they all continuously held their mouths open as if they had a hard time figuring out what was going on.

So much for the physics of baseball.

Jim

J M Green
Email: MailTo:JMGreen@sisna.com