Re: [Phys-l] The History of MASS

Unfortunately, some wise guy HS student may point out that what they are experiencing is the static friction, which also increases w/ the normal force, and is very likely, whatever, the normal force above a rather low minimum, to be greater than the kinetic, or in the case of wheels, rolling friction. I still think the only honest method is w/ a spring scale *. It will also show the difference between the static and rolling friction and the various masses. The following site is rather good regarding friction especially the graphs and the automobile discussion.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

* Or Jeff Schnick's experiment (no friction to muddy the experiments).

bc, who arrogantly pontificates having never taught below 12th grade.

p.s. I just now remember I have a 0 => 30# scale. It, my rusty old little red wagon, concrete construction blocks, and video camera will get used tomorrow.

Steve Clark wrote:

What's really of interest here is the force required to start the wagon moving. While the friction force is certainly larger with the added mass, the point would be made if the students' attention was directed to the starting (accelerating) force and not the force required to maintain equilibrium. I'd postpone any discussion of changing frictional forces to a later date.

I have my high school students teach elementary kids in the spring for a year end project. They seem quite good at getting this point across to their young students.

Steve Clark