[Phys-l] COLD FUSION and Looking for a partner

1) Several new items about cold fusion, now called CMNS (condense matter nuclear science), were posted at

http://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/cf/

2) i am looking for advice, and possibly for a partner in an anticipated experiment. Here is a brief description.

a) I really need a simple MCA analyzer; even a 16 channels dinosaur would be OK. If you have a working MCA that will not be needed for several months then please allow me to use, I will be glad to pay for the UPS back-and-forth expenses.

b) The cost of new MCA is about $4000. That is a lot of money for a trivial application I have in mind. I suspect that someone familiar with digital electronics, even a student, can build a simple device for me, probably for less than $400. That is what I would call limited partnership. Full partnership in an anticipated CMNS experiment (to be performed with Dr. R. Oriani, a retired electrochemist from the University of Minnesota) would also be welcome. But that is a different issue, to be discussed in private.

c) In our application pules will be arriving very infrequently, typically several per hour, or so. And the total number of pulses to analyze will be less that two or three hundred per experiment. A sophisticated new ORTEC setup (SOLOIST, costing $3500) for counting alpha particles at very slow rates (advertised background is one pulse per hour or less) will be used. The Soloist output is a standard linear amplifier delivering positive pulses (0 to 10 volts) whose duration will be several microseconds. Using a standard (fast and high resolution) MCA seems to be an overkill; sorting alpha particles into 10 bins, each 1 MeV wide, would be just fine for us, at least in the first phase.

What I have in mind is to print amplitudes during experiments (lasting several days each) at the times of arrival of individual pulses. Then sorting can be performed manually, or with a simple program (after creating an ASCII data file). An 5-bits ADC, sampling at the rate of 2 MHz would probably be sufficient. Plus an interface to a common printer, or to a laptop computer storing amplitudes of consecutive pulses into a file.

Criticism, comment and suggestions will be appreciated, even from those who believe that CMNS is voodoo science. Oriani has vary impressive new results by using CR-39 detectors but information about energies of particles, emitted from a Ni cathode after the electrolysis, would be even more convincing that something unexpected is indeed taking place. Alpha particles emitted at very slow rate cannot possibly produce measurable amounts of excess heat reported by many CMNS researchers.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.