Re: [Phys-l] History of MASS

A book you might want to look at is The Concept of Matter, edited by Ernan McMullin.

cheers,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:57 PM, David Abineri wrote:

I wonder if someone can comment on the historical development of the
concept of mass. When was such a concept first used and what was the
original motivation for a concept that tell us what we understand mass
to be today. Galileo and Newton surely understood the need for such a
concept but when and why did it first arise?

Thanks for any insights on this, David Abineri

--
D. Abineri dabineri@fuse.net