From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Hugh Haskell
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:05 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Video Encyclopedia of Physics Demos (ownership)

At 22:16 -0500 10/18/06, Jack Uretsky wrote:

What does the license say? Hugh is bound by that. The well-paid lawyers
will first look at the question, much discussed in the literature, as to
whether the copyright holder has properly bound Hugh to the terms of the
license.

Please, please, please! I am *not* copying any part of the discs,
only putting bookmarks to the locations I am seeking in my computer.
This does not modify or change or copy from the discs in any way. If
showing excerpts from DVDs in a legitimate classroom violates the
copyright laws then just about every school in the country is in
violation of the copyright law.

I understand the situation where some schools copied huge sections of
books in mass quantities and then sold them in their student
bookstores. That is pretty clearly a violation of the copyright laws,
but even copying small excerpts from books and handing them out in
class (not charging for them) is within the copyright laws. All I am
doing is *showing* excerpts, from the discs that I have purchased, to
my classes. I also show the occasional complete video to a class.
that has been standard classroom practice for decades. I don't think
it has been changed.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

When you are arguing with a stupid person, it is a good idea to make sure
that
person isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous