Re: [Phys-l] Interactive Physics Simulations

In Engineering Mechanics, Dynamics, Pearson Prentice Hall 2004, 10th
Edition; R.C. Hibbeler, defines a coefficient of restitution e (in the
reference frame in which all motion is along the line of impact for the
case in which the forces the objects exert on each other also along the
line of impact and there are no external forces acting on either object)
as the difference in the speeds of the colliding objects after the
collision to the difference in the speeds of the colliding objects
before the collision. When this ratio is zero, Hibbeler calls the
impact plastic or inelastic and says that the objects stick together.
In such a case there is a period of deformation but there is no
subsequent restitution. When the ratio is 1, Hibbeler calls the
collision perfectly elastic. He uses the adjective for the elastic
case. To me this implies that for 0 > e > 1 the collision is partially
elastic meaning there is some restitution but one or both of the objects
fail to recover their original shape. Thus, for an elastic collision, e
0; and if the collision is perfectly elastic, e=1. This suggests that
the "totally" in the expression "totally inelastic collision" is
redundant. I am a fan of the redundancy in this case.

The total momentum of the system is the same before and after the
collision, only in the idealized case of the perfectly elastic collision
can the same be said for the macroscopic kinetic energy of the system.

Jeff Schnick