Re: [Phys-l] statistics [was projectile motion lab]

Thank you, Karimn, for actually reading and answering the question. Truly, youd deserve the respect and admiration of your students and colleaguses. Additionally, thanks for understanding the topic under discussion. I was unfamiliar with the expression "standard deviation of
the mean", which is not used in probability texts that I'm familiar with.

Here's the correct mathematical formulation:
Take N samplaes from an infinite population that is normally distributed with mean <x> and standard deviation s. The probability p that a sample mean will differ from <x> by an amount u will be normally distributed with mean 0 and standard deviation s/sqrt(N). The latter value is corresponds to what has been called "the standard deviation of the mean" in the earlier postings.
The Burington/May Handbook (2d Ed.) at 13.36 also remarkds that if <x> or s is unknown, these may be estimated (see Sec. 13.62)

I refer to the <Handboook of Probability and Statistics (McGraw-Hill 1970, p. 189).
Regards,
Jack).