[Phys-l] recommendations

On 10/11/2006 12:39 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

bc, who remembers JD recommends Bevington

Oh, plllleeeeease.

One of the "recommendations" I actually made was:

I would also like to remind people to avoid the book by
Bevington. The programs in the book are macabre object
lessons in how not to write software. And the other parts
of the book are not particularly good, either.

I went on to say:

The _Numerical Recipes_ book by Press et al. has reasonable
programs. Gonick's book _The Cartoon Guide to Statistics_
is a very reasonable introduction to the subject; don't be
put off by the title.

===========================

At a higher level, I have another recommendation. I am reminded of a quote
from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
-- You don't remember!?!?!?
-- I wrote it in the diary so I wouldn't /have/ to remember.

Mark and Dan have gone to a lot of trouble to make the phys-l archives
available and searchable. Why not check the archives? Then you won't
have to remember exactly what was said. Example:

https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2BFrom%3Ajsd+bevington

Before posting, reflect on the fact that there are hundreds of people
who read this list. It's worth a bit of your time to check the facts,
so that you don't waste everybody else's time with bogus facts. It's
a way of showing respect for other people.