Re: [Phys-l] projectile motion lab

On 10/10/06, Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Sadly, this means that I conclude that the answer to Krishna's question
is...
"It depends".

I conclude that as well. Earlier in this thread, Tim F. makes a good case
as applied to the question that was the original (?) subject of this
thread: determining the uncertainty in the impact location of a marble
launched horizontally with some velocity and falling some vertical
distance. I'm still thinking about it, but I lean towards thinking my
original statement about using standard deviation of the mean was incorrect.

p.s. Supposing a Gaussian distribution for a Monte Carlo
seems circular to me: what am I missing?

This could be a misunderstanding on my part. I thought that you did Monte
Carlo using a distribution that best represented your sample. Is Monte
Carlo always done using Gaussian distributions, so that what I said was
redundant?

--
regards
-Krishna