Re: [Phys-l] sample variance versus population variance

On 10/9/06, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 10/09/2006 05:25 PM, Krishna Chowdary wrote:

Are we talking about the sample variance versus population variance?
If so, the fix is simple: replace N by N-1 in the normalization.
That allows you to convert the sample variance into an unbiased predictor
of the population variance.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SampleVariance.html

But perhaps I have misunderstood the question. The generally-used
notation
is so messed up that all sorts of inconsistencies can arise.

Thanks for your response, John. I don't think that's the question I was
asking. I tried to ask my question more explicitly in the rest of the
message you refer to, and tried to define my notation. Please let me know
what I might need to clarify or restate.

My question is not about sample variance vs. population variance. In a
nutshell, it is about whether the standard deviation or the standard
deviation of the mean (of a data set consisting of time measurements) should
be used when propogating uncertainty through a calculation.

--
regards
-Krishna

Krishna Chowdary