[Phys-l] sample variance versus population variance

On 10/09/2006 05:25 PM, Krishna Chowdary wrote:

I don't think the standard deviation of the mean (aka "standard error")
is what is needed here. The st. dev. of the mean tells you how well you
know the mean value, but that isn't what is important. You want the
effect of the variation of the individual trials, which is related to
the plain old standard deviation.

Now that you point this out, I'm not sure what to do.

Are we talking about the sample variance versus population variance?
If so, the fix is simple: replace N by N-1 in the normalization.
That allows you to convert the sample variance into an unbiased predictor
of the population variance.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SampleVariance.html

But perhaps I have misunderstood the question. The generally-used notation
is so messed up that all sorts of inconsistencies can arise.