[Phys-l] Agressive grade inflation invades concerts.

STANDING AGGRESSION BY OVATORS

DENNIS ABRAMS, HOUSTON CHRONICLE - I attended a concert of the Houston
Symphony. The soloist, Louis Lortie, performed two piano concertos:
Tchaikovsky #3, and Prokofiev #1. He did, I felt, an admirable job.

The crowd, of course, gave him a standing ovation. I remained in my
seat, applauding at a level somewhere between polite and enthusiastic.

A woman in front of me, one of the standers, turned around, saw me
still sitting, and asked, "Why aren't you standing?"

I was startled by her question. Why should I have to explain my
response to the performance? I shrugged.

"Didn't you find the performance ecstatic?" she asked.

Not having achieved a verifiable level of ecstasy, I replied, "No, it was OK."

"Just OK?" she asked.

"OK," I responded. "It was good."

"I guess it takes a lot to get you to stand up."

"Yep," I replied, hoping that would end the discussion.

She turned back to the stage, then back toward me, trying to
understand why I obstinately refused to go along with the crowd.

"You must be a Sagittarius," she said.

I would have liked to reassure her that the fault, indeed, lay in my
stars. But I answered truthfully: "I'm just picky."

She tried one more approach, "You must be very discerning."

I stifled the impulse to say "I guess you're not."

And blessedly, the ovation reached its end, and she left to enjoy the
intermission.

I was stunned: No longer content to give standing ovations to
performances that don't warrant them, the ovaters have begun to
question why others aren't standing too.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/arts/classicalmusic/4239471.html