Re: [Phys-l] Replacement program for Interactive Physics

Depending on what the need is, I would suggest combining Physlets & PHET simulations.

The PHET simulations do not allow you to create customized simulations. You have to work with what they provide, but their collection covers a lot of
ground and has very nice looking graphics. You can also find on their sites, activities written by different users for some of the simulations.
With the Physlets you can either use the existing collection of problems that other people have created, or customized your own (just need to dig into JavaScript).
It's not as convenient as IP, but you can't beat the price!

Karim Diff
PHET: <http://phet.colorado.edu/web-pages/simulations-base.html>
Physlets: <http://webphysics.davidson.edu/Applets/Applets.html>

John M Clement wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:53:16 -0500
Physlets is available for some simulations, and there are a number of good canned simulations already on the web. But I do not know of anything as easy to use as IP. However there is a Physlets applet that makes writing simulations easier.

John M. Clement
Houston, Tx

I am just beginning the process of finding a "substitute" for Interactive Physics as my computers are being upgraded. The new Mac computers don't run classic and IP doesn't work on OS X. Does anyone have any suggestions for a physics simulation program that runs on OS X.

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

BTW, I used to work a LOT with IP and I still consider it to have BEEN one of the best pedagogical software resources ever developed for physics instruction. But the publishers have been unforgivably
derelict in supporting and improving the product and have chosen instead to milk their once fanatical and ever dwindling user base with silly and very expensive "upgrades." When they abandoned OS X,
I most reluctantly hung up my IP hat for good.

You can look at some of the modules I wrote on my IP page at

<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm/ip.html>

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>