Re: [Phys-l] projectile motion lab

Advise:
1. As mentioned rcently - make sure the marble rolls off a level surface
I place each apparatus on a board and use a 2 foot level to level it by slipping sheets of paper under the low end of the board (actually pieces of shelving from my cabinets).
2. The hardest part for the students is aiming left and right - the range is almost always accurate if the release is good.
2. A consistent release is CRITICAL. I have the students release the ball several times until the time between the photogates is consistent.
3. The marbles should roll smoothly on the table - bouncing marbles create timing problems (you want the photogate beam to cut across the same part of the ball at each gate)
4. I use a target with horizontal bands labeled 10, 9, 8 and 7 points. The lab is scored out of 20 points: 10 possible for hitting the target perfectly, 10 points for the lab write-up.
I put a strip of putty or a plastic ruler along the 10 pt band - so it is easy to tell if the students hit that band (you can see a mark in the putty or hear the click as the ball hits the ruler)
----------------
7
---------------
8
--------------
9
--------------
10
--------------
9
8
7
5. My 9th graders get great results - most score a 10.
6. Most importantly: try it yourself before having the students do it.

I hope this helps,
-Owen