[Phys-l] on-line gambling (was: Good Questions)

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Do HS students still read such books as Gamow's One Two Three ...
Infinity, wherein he discusses the drunkard's walk and the blu sky, or
are they addicted to TV and text msgng?

Ray Suarez's story on NPR heard this afternoon suggests that one of the up and coming addictions keeping high-schoolers and college kids from the books is on-line poker. A vanishingly few kids are paying their way through college with it (2-12 hrs/day). Most of course (~90%? more?) just lose money, perhaps every last dime, not to mention the mental toll. I guess it can apparently bring out the addictive personality in anybody. Just an interesting phenom in light of threads seen here, some recent.

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/gambling/index.html

I wonder if any teachers here can ask their students what the actual prevalence of this is?

Stefan Jeglinski