Re: [Phys-l] Good Questions

Cliff (and others)

that come right from the top of my pointy head.... ......

1. Given a round fish bowl a round marble and a ruler, predict the number
of these marbles that would be required to fill the bowl to the top.

2.After students have had sufficient time to calculate and record their
predictions, pull out your store of marbles. Have a student drop the
marbles into the fish bowl, a few at a time, while the rest of the class
keep
an accurate count.

3. When a "winner" has been determined have the student write an article
describing her technique for the school, or local, newspaper.

(Note: I wrote "her technique" above because 99 time out of 100 it will
be girl who wins).

Herb Gottlieb
(From New York City where the girls have already overtaken
the boys at such challenges)

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 17:26:08 -0500 "Cliff Parker" <cparker@charter.net>